Sunday, August 4, 2013

Blogs We Love: Shameless Maya


We fell in love with Maya after seeing a video of her shaving her gorgeous head of hair on YouTube. What made us love her even more was her reasoning behind it and her overall "Shameless" take on life. Read on for our interview with Maya and be sure to subscribe to her YouTube channel.Why do you call yourself "Shameless?"
I call myself "Shameless" because I have no shame to be myself and share that with complete strangers on YouTube and the rest of the online world.

What made you start your blog?
Shameless was birthed out of my frustration with social media and how badly I sucked at it. A little over a year ago I asked myself what would happen if I "shamelessly" promoted myself online for 365 days. What I had hoped for was to get over my social media anxiety while sharing myself with the rest of the cyber world.

What challenges did you face starting out?
My biggest challenge was figuring out what am I shamelessly promoting. As an artist, I express myself through so many vehicles and narrowing in on one was never my style. I listened to my viewers and produced content that they wanted while staying true to myself by utilizing my craft for filming, lighting, editing and acting.

Tell us about why you decided to shave your head?
It's something I've wanted to do for a while and the thought kept resurfacing when my channel started to grow. Watching an episode of Fear Factor, when the challenge was for contestants to shave their hair, helped inspire that. My channel also began transforming into a beauty and hair site which was something I didn't plan for or anticipate. Young girls and women began to obsess over my hair and it almost became too much. I am not my hair is all that played through my mind, and beauty is not defined by hair. Individuals have so much more to offer than just hair. Anyways...off with it!

How do you keep readers/followers engaged?
I stay shamelessly open, honest and real. I think people in general find that intriguing and engaging.

Do you have any tips for aspiring bloggers?
Celebrate your talents in a unique way. Avoid falling into trends/patterns and if you do, figure out a way to use a trend to your advantage by putting an extreme twist on it.

Are there any upcoming projects you'd like to talk about?
I have my official musical single "I'm Shameless" about to drop. Keep an eye out for it!